Sunday, December 23, 2018

NaNoWriMo 2018 (I won!)






THING ONE:

So... I heard about NaNoWriMo in, like, 2001 (probably on LiveJournal).

In case you don't know, that means 'National Novel Writing Month' (a name it has largely outgrown). NaNoWriMo was one of the first fad months I knew about...way before variations involving drawing, not shaving, or abstinence.

I have been thinking about doing it for years, but there was always a reason not to do it...you know, life. This year, I told life to suck it.

To "win" NaNoWriMo, you have to write 50,000 words in 30 days (1667/day). I won. The manuscript is not currently complete, and is not publishable for various reasons, but I did it.




During the process, I also became a lot more familiar with Scrivener, the word processor program. To further my education, I also learned how to compile an eBook file (e.g., EPUB).


THING TWO:
I've been reading a lot more feverishly lately. I'm unsure what's causing this, but I'm riding the wave. As a result, I joined Goodreads.

On Goodreads, I found these Dragon Age "books" -- but they're not books, they're little vignettes. They were released as teasers for Dragon Age II, on the website, and are simple PDFs.


CAT IN THE HAT:
I converted the PDFs into one eBook file. I made a cover. I measured my copy of 'Hard in Hightown' to make sure it matched.

SO, TO CELEBRATE MY ACHIEVEMENTS IN NOVEMBER... 
I DECIDED TO SHARE THIS AS A HOLIDAY GIFT TO THE GEEK COMMUNITY!